Monday 7 February 2011

Dinner Recipe 10: Sushi Rolls - with a twist

Most people I know, love sushi! Sadly, it is not super friendly towards a detox diet as the rice is white and is mixed with vinegar and sugar and soy sauce contains wheat. Whole Foods, both in the US and the UK make brown rice sushi, which is definitely a step in the right direction but if you are to be completely pure you'll need to stick with sashimi without soy sauce!

Now, I call this sushi but truth is that the only thing these rolls have in common with real sushi is that they are rolled in Sushi Nori (seaweed)!!

Preparation time for this is slightly long which is why I 'labeled' it as a 'Dinner Recipe'. It is a social way to have dinner with friends and reminds me of having fondue where people sit around the table and cook their own food - so plan it for a night when you have time to prepare and time to sit around the table for more than the average 10 minutes. To speed up the preparation time, I use my food-processor for grating the vegetables.

You can get creative about the ingredients yourself, but below I have listed 9 'ingredients' which I think make a wonderful combination. I have left the ingredients vegetarian and all raw (except the hummus - the raw food gurus will be thrilled) but you can of course add some sashimi quality fish or some brown rice or quinoa. At a minimum, I think you need 6-8 different items to fill your Sushi Nori.

Carrots, grated
Beetroot, grated
Avocado, cut into long slices/boats
Spring onion, sliced on the long side
Rocket
Sprouts - I chose two types this time (alfalfa and china rose radish sprouts - the latter one is a bit spicy)
Furikake Japanese seasoning
Hummus and/or tahini
Herb dressing (Creme Fraiche and Greek yogurt mixed in a food processor with fresh herbs, fresh garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper)
And finally, Sushi Nori for wrapping it all together in a nice roll.

Have fun!
All ingredients ready to be served

Ready to roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment