Wednesday 22 December 2010

Breakfast - Part I: Busy weekday mornings

To give your body a good cleanse it is important to start every day of your detox with either a cup of hot water with lemon or a green tea. I either make it as the first thing after getting up and drink it during my morning routine or would buy disposable cups (like they use at all the coffee chains) and bring it with me on my journey to work.

As we all know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Busy work schedules and social lives however makes it tough for many to have breakfast before rushing out of the door in the morning and I am sure that doesn't change because you are doing the detox. The following breakfast options should be fairly easy and quick for those mornings - and you should be able to have them as easily at home as at the office.

Plain yogurt (bio-live, Greek or goats milk) with banana, cold-milled flax seeds and if you prefer slightly sweeter a bit of honey

Gluten free cereal with unsweetened soy, rice or almond milk

Breakfast porridge
- this one requires a little bit of work. I put all the dry ingredients in a pot the night before so all I have to do in the morning is add banana, water and soy milk and bring it to the boil. I then put it in a storage container, wrap it in a scarf (to keep it hot) and bring it with me to work. By the time I got there it was nicely cooked and in case it had gotten too cold I would stick it in the microwave for a minute (if you are lucky enough to have access to one at work). When having this porridge at home, I also just bring it to the boil and then wrap the pot up in my duvet for 10-15 minutes (this is like the old days when people slow-cooked food in hay-boxes). Another thing to make it easier is to make a larger portion of the porridge mixture on the weekend so that it is ready for use.

Porridge mixture:
Equal amounts of millet flakes, brown rice flakes and quinoa flakes

For one portion you need:
1/2 cup porridge mixture
A small handful almonds (I put them in whole)
A sprinkle ground cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 banana (sliced)

I always have it with a good amount of honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment