Wednesday 15 December 2010

What's all the fuss about???

Since I am no doctor, dietician or anything even close to either, I will try to refrain from too much medical 'blabber' as to why one should have a more alkaline/alkaline-forming diet. However, from reading articles and various research there is a lot of evidence showing that people's diet today is much too acidic (once you get into the alkaline lifestyle you will realize just how much!) and that this is one of the causes of many of today's lifestyle diseases such as cancer and diabetes. What is quite funny though is that it is the allure of easy, no starvation, weight-loss that has tended to persuade most of my friends to try it out. That they have subsequently found themselves feeling fantastic in many more respects is the added bonus.

I myself decided to do it because of my very sweet tooth! Since childhood I have struggled to stay away from sweets and tend to consume them in such large quantities that I started worrying about becoming diabetic later in life. But as alkaline food has become a larger and larger percentage of my diet I have to say that it is the general feeling of well-being that makes me continue. I sleep amazingly, my skin is clear and glowing, no 'afternoon blues', no cravings, I don't have a gram excess weight on me and I beam with energy - what more can one really want from life??  Well... there comes a time when the chocolate is just too tempting or the craving for a pizza or a steak too great, but fortunately I seem to have found a happy balance so that I can still have all of those delicious foods (but in smaller quantities than in the past) and luckily crave them much less frequently.

The full detox is three weeks. The first time I did it I truly struggled - headaches, cravings and most importantly I didn't have a good idea about what I could eat and ended up with the same 3-4 dishes for three weeks which was not much fun. I practically lined up in front of the Italian ice-cream store the hour I had completed my three weeks!!

I can't promise you no headaches - you are bound to have them given that you no longer will eat or drink all the 'artificial stimulants' that most people tend to have every day. Rest assured though that it will go away after a few days. In terms of cravings what I hear from friends who have done the detox is that they actually don't crave the things they thought they would. One friend, who is particularly fond of wine, thought that would be the toughest one to miss - yet, he hasn't craved it once during his detoxing periods. What I can promise you is a much larger variety of food than I initially had. On this blog I will post lists of snacks and recipes which will hopefully make it much easier for you to have a delicious food experience with a full stomach throughout the three weeks - and beyond hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment