Sunday 19 December 2010

Easy Snacks

Snacks are essential when you are doing the detox. Not only will it help you stay away from 'detox unfriendly' temptations but you also tend to eat more food than normal (or at a minimum, more frequently). It is natural for you to eat more during this time since your diet will become healthier and more easy to digest and thus won't 'clog' your system. Fortunately, the choice is large and varied.

I used to keep nuts, a bag of corn thins, a glass of almond butter and some honey at my desk in the office, so I always had access to a quick, healthy snack. If I had time and was well organized I would bring hummus, vegetables and other snack foods with me to work in the morning (and if you are lucky enough to have access to a refrigerator at work then you can keep most of these in the office).

Snacks requiring no preparations:

Nuts - I tend to prefer almonds but other nuts are also ok. Stay away from peanuts and nuts that are toasted with any sort of oil though.
Bananas (the only fruit you are allowed so I hope you like them!)

Savory snacks:
Carrots, celery, sugar snap peas or asparagus with hummus
Rice cakes or corn thins with hummus
Griddled tofu with hummus or tahina (Tahina is a sesame paste mixed with spices, water and lemon juice. Recipe will come in a later post)

Sweet snacks - if you, like me, have a sweet tooth, the following snacks will be a treat:
Rice cakes or corn thins with ricotta cheese and honey
Greek yogurt with honey and cold-milled flax seeds.
Rice cakes or corn thins with almond butter and honey

No comments:

Post a Comment